May 2013 BOE Snippets
Dr. Jennings applauded the efforts of the entire AMS staff, the students and the parents for how they reacted to and handled the recent bomb scare.
Mr. O’Donnell and Mr. Scollan have once again directed the War and Remembrance flag memorial ceremony. They, and all of the students involved, did an outstanding job. Those who attended the May 23rd ceremony left knowing the meaning behind Memorial Day and the enormous cost our citizens have paid throughout our history for our freedom.
March 2013 Snippets
February 2013 BOE Snippets
January 2013 BOE Snippets
December BOE Snippets
October 2012 BOE Snippets
· The district accountant, Bill Colantano, presented the findings of his audit for the year ended June 30, 2012. Overall he viewed his findings as good. Revenue was up $301,000 due in large part to pre-school tuition, School of Choice revenue and a one-time federal aid package. Expenses increased $261,000 primarily due to student and instruction related training and employee benefits.
· There have been ongoing meetings with the sending district and high school board presidents and superintendents. Highlights from the most recent meeting on October 3, 2012 include:
o All districts are working toward a common calendar or at least as common as our scheduling differences will allow.
o Virtual classrooms are viewed as potential enhancement to the educational experience. To move forward each administration will perform a needs assessment so that the group can work towards a pilot program.
o A multi-district Science Fair is being investigated and should model the current Arts and Music program that the sending districts participate in.
· Joy Dominic presented the districts Comprehensive Student Assessment Program. It is comprised of the following:
o NJ ASK – annual assessment for grades 3-8
o DIBELS – a reading assessment that is given three times per year for grades K-5
o MCLASS – a math assessment that is given three times per year for grades K-3
o Concepts Assessment – an assessment that is given three times per year for grades K-8
o Skills Assessment – an assessment that is given three times per year for grades K-8
o CBM – a special education assessment that is given monthly for grades K-8
o APA – annual special education assessment for grades 3-8
· The overall district averages were up on the NJ ASK scores in all of the areas tested, which include Language Arts, Math and Science.
September 2012 Snippets
· The Board approved and adopted goals for the 2012/13 school year. We added a goal regarding staff and student performance.
· An all-encompassing evaluation system is being implemented during the 2012/13 school year. It will be district-wide and include students, teachers, support staff and administration.
· As a result of public input, the Board will take another look at the district bullying policy. In particular, the consequences for those incidents found to be bullying.
· The Board was proud to witness and participate in tenure being conferred on six of our district teachers at the September meeting. Those teachers receiving tenure were:
o Christina Salerno – Pre-School
o Teresa Gover – Occupational Therapist
o JoAnn Sei – L.D.T.C.
o Danielle Weisman – 4th Grade
o Patrick O’Donnell – 6th/7th Grade
o Sara Sciarello – 3rd Grade