Initiatives That Have Taken Place
1. Oasis Freshman Orientation-In-coming freshman were informed about and engaged in discussion about the anti-bullying law, interventions to stop bullying and an introduced to school staff and peer leaders who could provide them with assistance should they witness or be the victim of bullying.
2. All teaching staff were provided with a 1/2 day of in-service on the need for safe schools, the relationship between safe schools and student learning and the importance of recognizing and respecting individual differences and alternative lifestyle choices.3. Grade level meetings occurred to further address the anti-bullying law and the impact bullying has on both the victim and the perpetrator.
4. An Anti-Bullying Action planning committee has been established to explore and recommend ways to encourage proactive student behavior. This committee will meet on a monthly basis and representative members include administrators, teachers, related services personnel, parent(s), law enforcement officer(s) and students.
5. Adoption by the school board of anti-bullying policies and procedures.
6. Continued staff development presented by the district's anti-bullying specialists at the October 10 In-Service day.
7. Anti-bullying training for all district substitutes. (ongoing)
8. Continuation of the district's Diversity Club.
9. Establishment of a school wide Safety Committee to review all incidence of bullying, harassment and intimidation and to make recommendations to the superintendent and the board as necessary.
10. Creation of a school-wide Anti-Bullying PSA video contest where the winning videos were presented and the students responsible for them were acknowledged at the May Board of Education meeting
Future (Soon to be initiatives)
1. Student In-service (all grade levels) to address the impact of active vs. passive bullying by standing.
2. Exploration of state department of education grants to assist in the training of staff and students.
3. Introduction of cross curricula themes concerning bullying, intimidation and harassment.
Dr. Frank Guenther - Director of Special Services & Guidance
Anti- Bullying Coordinator
Mr. Anthony Mormile - Vice Principal