Here are a few suggestions for completing homework at this age.
1. Review directions. Even though I go over directions in class, they may forget by the time they get home. Start by asking them what they need to do on their homework sheet and then assist if they are incorrect.
2. Supervise completion, but allow them to try to work independently to the best of their ability. Check for correct pencil grip.
3. Stop them immediately if you notice they are having difficulty with a concept, and explain or review directions. Check for understanding.
4. When they have completed work, check for mistakes and neatness.
5. Have them correct mistakes and explain/discuss what they did incorrectly.
6. Have them return it to their folder and put the folder back in their backpack.