Here are a few suggestions for completing homework at this age.
1. Review directions. I review in class, but your child may forget by the time they are ready to complete their work.
2. Allow your child the opportunity to complete on their own. If they are having trouble review directions again.
3. When they have completed work, check for mistakes and neatness.
4. Have them correct mistakes and explain/discuss what they did incorrectly.
5. Have them return it to their folder and put the folder back in their backpack.
6. Complete in pencil unless the directions say to color. Their name should always be in pencil.