Language Arts Overview:
We will be using a program, Collaborative Classroom, to guide our literacy journey. We will be exploring various genres, such as fairy tales, novels and informational text all throughout our time together. We'll use fun and engaging anchor texts to learn and develop our reading and writing skills. As literacy learners, we will implement these skills and strategies in all the texts we read, both as a class and independently. Students will be instructed on how to choose reading material that is appropriate for them, and helps them grow as readers and writers! We will collaborate as a team and share our strategies with the class on a daily basis.
5th Grade Topics of Study: *Reading and writing strategies and skills will be taught throughout the units
* The Reading Community: Fiction
* Using Text Features: Expository Fiction
* Questioning: Expository Nonfiction
* Analyzing Text Structure: Fiction
* Making Inferences: Fiction and Poetry
* Making Inferences: Fiction and Expository Nonfiction
* Analyzing Text Structure: Expository Nonfiction
* Determining Important Ideas and Summarizing: Narrative Nonfiction and Fiction
* Synthesizing: Fiction and Expository Nonfiction
Social Studies - Overview
The Stone Age, Ancient Mesopotamia, Ancient Egypt, & Ancient China and India
* Handwriting, grammar and vocabulary skills and strategies intertwined throughout our topics
- Student Expectations- Students are expected to behave in a respectful manner and to actively contribute to his/her team's learning community. For serious cases of misbehavior, a district disciplinary form will be completed and sent to the main office for the principal's review. In addition, the student's family will be notified of the misbehavior.
- Independence/Organization/Responsibility- During the course of the year, students will learn to become more independent and responsible learners. This includes becoming accountable for actions, setting goals, and seeking answers to questions.
- Communication- Communication between teachers and families is key. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. The best way to contact me is via email at firstname.lastname@example.org