What is Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)?
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults:
- understand and manage emotions
- set and achieve positive goals
- feel and show empathy for others
- establish and maintain positive relationships
- make responsible decisions
Social Emotional Learning is really about feeling connected to self and others.
The New Jersey Department of Education outlines five core SEL competencies that can be taught in many ways across many different settings.