The Diversity Club- where EVERYONE is welcome!!!!
Love to get involved?
Consider joining the Diversity Club. We are a small club that wants to make a big statement, and we need students who are willing to help out in a big way. If you think all people deserve to be treated equally and that differences are what make us unique individuals then consider joining the Diversity Club. Send an email to Mrs. Cartwright at firstname.lastname@example.org or our club President Margo McGovern at email@example.com letting us know you are interested in joining and you will be put on the email list. Hope to see you at a meeting!
UPCOMNG VIRTUAL EVENTS:
-April 26th, 2020-
This Sunday LIVE -- celebrities including Melissa Etheridge, Kesha, Matt Bomer, Rosie O'Donnell, Jonathan Van Ness, Billy Porter, Dan Levy, Adam Lambert, Sharon Stone, Sean Hayes and more will be live-streaming an unforgettable concert on GLAAD's facebook live and youtube channels to raise money for LGBT community centers like ours.
Tune in and enjoy this exciting event: Together in Pride: You Are Not Alone!
- April 24th, 2020- The Day of Silence
"The GLSEN Day of Silence is a national student-led demonstration where LGBTQ students and allies all around the country—and the world—take a vow of silence to protest the harmful effects of harassment and discrimination of LGBTQ people in schools" (GLSEN).
"Started in the mid 90’s by two college students, the Day of Silence has expanded to reach hundreds of thousands of students each year. Every April, students go through the school day without speaking, ending the day with Breaking the Silence rallies and events to share their experiences during the protest and bring attention to ways their schools and communities can become more inclusive" (GLSEN).
This year in honor of the 25th anniversary of Day of Silence GLSEN is going virtual!
Check out GLSEN's webpage for more information: glsen.org
Local resources for the LGBTQ+ community:
The Rainbow Room, Doylestwon PA
Bradbury Sullivan LGBT Community Center, Allentown PA - https://www.bradburysullivancenter.org/ (check out their website for lists of other programs, events, etc.)
- August 20, 2019- Freshmen OASIS at Del Val- during the lunch break during OASIS Diveristy Club had a table with information and sign-up sheets for interested freshmen wanting to join our awesome little club!!
- September 23rd to Septmeber 27th, 2019- is Ally Week! This year we want to focus on educating others. We are planning on handing out stickers and provide the Del Val community with information during Unit Lunch. Stop by and see our table talk with our members and learn how to become a better ally.
- Ally Week 2019 was a success! We spent the week educating the Del Val community on important information about how to be a supportive Ally here are links to information we shared:
- Spirit Week is coming and we are planning on decorating D115's door for Diveristy Club! Check in later for some pictures! Here's our door! Isn't it AWESOME!!!!
- DECEMBER 10TH IS UNIVERSAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY! -Check out the Universal Declaration of Human Rights-
- On December 12th we honored National Gingerbread House Day with a Gingerbread House Decorating Contest. We had 38 participants and 10 groups total. Below are some pictures from our event:
**CONGRATULATIONS to Katie Crosdale, Hannah Hirsch, Madi Beyers, and Anna DeLeao (Group 8) for creating the best looking Gingerbread House**
-The week of Feb. 17th was Random Acts of Kindness Week- it is time to be extra kind! Our bulletin board was full of suggestions on how to spread kindness and what types of acts could be done. These suggestions do not just apply to this week- we have a calendar posted of things you can do everyday to help spread kindness- so check it out. We also recognized specific students who were identified to us by staff members, who went above and beyond to help others! Good job, keep up the kind acts and we hope you enjoyed your gift!
- The Day of Silence must go on! Friday April 24th 2020 is the National Day of Silence and even though we will not be in school, students will still be particiapting in taking a vow of silence to protest the harmful effects of harassment and discrimination of LGBTQ people in schools. All students interested can register for the event at www.glsen.org and receive information about their virtual Break the Silence Rally they'll be hosting this year.
What we do:
- Monthly meetings to discuss ways to promote upcoming events such as:
- World Kindness Day
Random Acts of Kindness Week
Day of Silence
Color Run (may or may not be an annual event)
- Any suggestions for events are welcome- that's how we created the Rainbow Fun(d) Run!
Events from 2018/2019:
- Ally Week September 24th to September 28th, 2018
- October 18th members of the Diversity Club and National Honor Society volunteered at the Safe in Hunterdon's Annual Candlelight Vigil. It was a wonderful experience where our help was greatly appreciated.
- October is LGBT History Month and Bullying Prevention Awareness Month- check out these awesome websites for more information on both: LGBT History Month and Stomp Out Bullying
- Thankful Board- From November 12th to the 21st Check out our Bulletin Board to see what Del Val is Thankful for!
- Del Val Coffee House- Feb. 1st, 2019 6pm in the cafeteria- Diversity Club will be there to help out so come and enjoy the amazing talent that is our students!
- Random Acts of Kindness Week- the week of February 17th-23rd- be on the lookout for random acts of kindness throughout the building. Want to spread the kindness? Check out our bulletin board for some ideas...
- Day of Silence April 12th, 2019. We had 24 participants this year and had a wonderful breakfast to start the day. Thanks to all the members who contributed to make our breakfast a success.
UPDATE: The Rainbow Fun(d) Run was a great success! We had over 40 particiapnts and were able to donate $450.00 to the American Foundation on Suicide Prevention. Excellent job- Check out our Thank You from AFSP!!!