Our Story

Our Story - The History of DVRHS

Delaware Valley Regional High School was the third high school created in Hunterdon County.  Supported by voters and bond money from the five municipalities of Alexandria, Holland, and Kingwood townships; Frenchtown, and Milford, it was in the “geographic center of the region it serves”, according to news accounts.

The 25-room school, built for $1,600,000, replaced Frenchtown High School.  Newspaper articles reported, “The rambling, 'ultra-modern’ new school was on a 67-acre tract of land” that “last year was a farm”.   Ground was broken on March 18, 1958, and the cornerstone laid on August 20, 1959, that held “a copper box of memorabilia”.

September 9, 1959, the first day of school, began with 24 faculty members.  According to newspaper reports, the minimum starting salary for teachers was $4,200. Head Football Coach Tap Webb, for whom our current football field is named, and a few other head coaches received an additional stipend of as much as $500 for the entire season.

Approximately 434 students rode on 10 bus routes, but the school was expected to grow.  “The existing structure could be expanded simply by the addition of classrooms if enrollment should climb to that degree,” it was reported. An additional bus was purchased in 1960 for $6455.75 to accommodate the already increased enrollment projected for the 1960-1961 school year.

Del Val’s first principal, Bertram M. Light, joined and headed Frenchtown School in 1931, only 5 years after its own founding in 1926.  Guiding Del Val to its new location, Principal Light retired in 1960 after 28 years of service. The title was passed on to Charles E. Phillips. The present library is dedicated to him for his 21 years of service, many as superintendent.

The 1959-1960 Delaware Valley Student Handbook reminded students that “strength of good character is expressed in courtesy and appropriate dress at all times.”  Students were required to take four years of English, four years of Physical Education, and two years of US History.  Subjects such as Math, Science, Arts and Crafts, and Stenography (for example) were listed as “electives”.  In his opening speech at the school dedication, Hunterdon County Superintendent Dr. Kenneth A. Woolf said that the “new facilities provide one of the best means we have for perpetuating and improving our dem